Yikes, I don’t know how it’s been so long since the last post! Shameful.
- Nearly finished with Chapter 12 of The Whale and the Tree, and am nearing the end of the second draft. Just two chapters and an epilogue left to go!! There’s a lot of new material in Chapter 13, but with any luck it won’t give me too much grief. I am determined to finish this thing by September 30, because heaven knows I need at least a month to sort out my novel idea for NaNoWriMo. Plus, I’m not letting myself buy any NaNo goodies until I get done, and I’m anxious for a spiffy new t-shirt and noveling mug! 🙂
- I’ve adopted a handful of new students, and am now driving all over the COUNTRY. Henry is performing admirably, of course, and I have lots more time to crank up the tunes, so it’s working out fairly well.
- Speaking of cranking up the tunes, have I mentioned how much I adore The Fratellis’ album Here We Stand? ‘Cause I do. Their songs are ridiculously catchy, and what with clever lyrics and a sort of classic 60s rock feel coupled with the bleeding through of fabulous Scottish accents, I really don’t know how a CD could be any better. 🙂 These songs go around in my head for days.
- I have fabulous new purple shoes. Just saying.
- Watched the movie Wit the other night, starring Emma Thompson, and… holy gut wrenching, Batman! Amazing movie, flawless screenplay, and Emma T. acted her socks off, but yikes, not for the faint of heart. Needless to say, I bawled.
I do believe that’s about it for now… More updates as soon as I FINISH the second draft! WOOT!!
Well, ladies and chaps, we are now nine whole days into September. No excessively interesting news to report, I fear, but I will do my best to fill up a little space so’s I don’t lose my readership. 🙂
I figured out I needed to do two chapters a week of Whale and the Tree to have the second draft finished by the end of September, and at the moment am two and a half chapters behind. 😦 Currently in Chapter Seven, and prose is being difficult. One forgets that small changes in behavior/plot/characterization affect everything and sometimes requires scenes one intended to remain unaltered having to be entirely rewritten. Argh. Working on the Wen/Talia thread and nearly ready to dump Talia in the ocean. Well, in two more chapters anyway. Then there will be a number of new scenes with the Whale of the title, and after all is said and done some expansion at the end and an added Epilogue to tie everything together. So. Lots left to do.
Watched Under the Greenwood Tree last night, starring Keeley Hawes. A charming movie, if bordering on the slightly ridiculous, but I enjoyed it immensely. Only question on my mind is, has there ever, in the history of real life, been three men in love with/proposing marriage to one girl at the same time? Good grief.
*remembers being guilty of once planning out a scene where a female main character gets three marriage proposals one after another the same evening and shuts up*
Went ice-skating on Saturday with all the lovely folks from the College & Career group at me church. Fun was had by all, despite loud, obnoxious music (the general public should really let me pick their music for them, as they have no taste and I do and therefore am quallified to help them), dizzying lights, and a rather over-crowded rink. One of my aspirations in life is to go ice-skating outdoors in the winter time. Obviously that will involve a move at some point. At any rate, it was nice to wear jeans and a sweatshirt again. In two more months I’ll be able to wear pants and long sleeves for real. Maybe.
LESS THAN TWO MONTHS TILL NANOWRIMO!! Ackkk!
And now I give you… THINGS I DID THIS WEEK (in pictures):
- Bought a notebook for nanowrimo (I start a new one for each successive novel; it’s an excellent excuse to buy notebooks):
- Made a Masque (which exudes coolness):
- Watched Spirited Away (random and bizarre but gorgeous and strangely touching at the same time):
- and Kung Fu Panda (ha. FUNNY.):
- Read Austenland (amusing):
- and Forever in Blue, aka Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 4 (I actually liked the movie better, but at least now I know how they compare):
- Worked on the novel. I’m now finished with Chapter 5 of Part Two–nine chapters left to go! I’ll definitely finish by the end of September, but the hoped for middle-of-the-month completion is not looking very likely at this point. Boo.