So, so, so: I plunged into Stage #1 of revisions for Seer today. Pretty sure it’s the shortest amount of time that’s ever passed between rough draft and edits for me, but I just couldn’t bear to wait any longer. The story wouldn’t leave me alone, and that’s a good thing, right? It’s been several weeks, at least. That’s something. 🙂
Anyways. I wanted to try a slightly different tack than my normal scribble-on-my-manuscript-with-colored-ink-and-make-lots-of-notes-and-get-lost-in-overwhelming-bouts-of-wallowing-despair revision process, and through various tweets and links and Google searches, am attempting a combination of the Shrunken Manuscript Technique, a spreadsheet outline, and working through Anita Nolan’s wonderful-looking revision checklist. We’ll see what sticks and what doesn’t.
So far today I printed out a shrunken manuscript and marked the different POVs, then began working through my regular-sized manuscript page by page, making notes and hi-lighting things I want to keep track of (like world-building and character details), and marking things I realize aren’t working (like much of chapter three). If I find a scene that’s Interesting, Intriguing, and Filled With Wonderful Tension, I get to mark it on the shrunken manuscript. So far only one scene has made the cut. o_0 As I’m reading through the scenes, I’m also filling out my spreadsheet, which thus far includes the categories Voice, Location, Time, Synopsis, Point of Scene, Notes, and # of pages.
By the time I finish my first read-through, I’ll hopefully have identified all the problem areas and have three different ways to look at the novel (shrunken, spreadsheet, scribbled-upon-manuscript) and figure out how to fix it.
I’ll keep you posted. 🙂