This rewrite feels like I’m trying to do a 2,000 piece puzzle, but I’ve only got 200 pieces and I lost the box so I can’t refer to the picture on the top and therefore have no clue what this thing is supposed to look like when it’s done.
Yeah. It’s kinda like that.
Where the novel currently is and where I want it to actually be are two separate universes at this moment. Here’s some of the changes I’m grappling with:
1. The Beginning. In the longest and most helpful rejection letter I’ve ever received, the question was posed: does this novel start in the right place? In this new draft I began the novel earlier in the timeline, and I feel like I might be trapped in the (new) first three chapters for all of eternity at this point.
2. Characterization. I’m basically trying to give my MC a spine. And some spunk. She’s getting a personality makeover, and she needs it!!
3. Relationships. I’m not too far into this aspect of the story yet, but there’s a massive balancing act to do here. My MC’s relationship with her mother is complicated and something I’m tweaking a little/trying to figure out in this new draft. There’s also a massive love square (that’s a love triangle with an extra side, haha) to navigate as the story progresses.
4. Plot. Although I’m not making a lot of earth-shattering plot alterations, I am changing it here and there, and I want to be consistent across the board and not change it so much that I lose the overall vision/feel of the original. I still want to be able to recognize this story!!
5. Length. I’m hoping to make this draft at least 10K shorter than the previous one. Yeah.
6. The Ending. I haven’t figured out if I’m going to change the original ending or not. I can’t decide.
So that’s that.