Yesterday, I finished Part One of my epic rewrite, and it was awesome, and I’m so proud of my changes!
Today, I remembered that I only have a few brainstorming notes about Part Two, and I don’t really know what I’m doing to it, and there is SO MUCH LEFT to rewrite it’s kind of giving me a headache. Yikes.
This is my third major draft of this manuscript—I first wrote it during NaNoWriMo 2006, and I rewrote it in 2008. I dearly love its core elements and I know I’ve already made it better, but WOW, the second half is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Not to mention I’ve yet to 100% decide on whether or not I’m drastically altering the ending…
In addition to the major scene changes and a vast amount of rewriting, I’m also trying to cut as many words as possible. I’ll be able to focus on that more once I have the whole draft down and can judge what’s working and what’s not, but the good news is Part One is 3K shorter in this draft than it was in the previous one, so that’s encouraging! I would dearly love this to end up around 90K, but if I’m being honest, I’ll be happy to get it down to the 100K mark. We shall see!!
On a side note, I’ve been rereading my NaNo part-of-a-novel from November, and while it definitely needs some help here and there, it’s a lot better than I thought. I’m digging it!
Okay. Back to sorting through this second half.