Caution, Read Through In Progress: Verbiage Ahead!

So I wound up printing out my novel after all—had to resort to copying and pasting the whole thing into Pages and tweaking the formatting for a while but I got that bad boy printed out in the end!

I’m almost halfway done with my read-through/editing and I’m really liking this draft so far. I’m cutting as many extemporaneous words as possible and it feels good. I love that stage of editing when you’re so on fire that deleting things no longer make you want to curl up in a hole and die but cackle with evil glee instead. 😀 It remains to be seen how many words I’ve actually axed so far; I’m hoping it’s in the neighborhood of 1K, though.

I’ve also rearranged some scenes in chapters three and four that were bothering me, which I think has solved the problem, and my newly rewritten sections are turning out to work with the flow of the novel much better than I thought, so that’s encouraging.

Definitely on track to have the finalized Draft #3 ready to be sent out into the wide world by the end of the month. Hoorah!!

Hail the Conquering Author!

I finished!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had half a chapter to go through this morning, which I did. I’m a little disappointed that I can’t print it out yet, though—I’m having problems with the compile feature on my Scrivener (I LOVE this program and normally don’t have any issues) and so can’t get it into my word processor. Kind of frustrating, but I’ve contacted technical support and hopefully the issue will be resolved soon. I have a shiny ream of paper and a shiny new binder all ready to receive my new draft when it is!!

Final word count for Draft #3 is 90,607. Le sigh…

I might possibly be noodling on a short story idea… we’ll see if anything happens with it!

Sheesh, three posts in three days! This is getting serious.

I think I need more tea.

Cheers!

Yea Verily, the Word Count Doth Swell

Only two chapters left!! Taking a bit of a break ’cause the last ones need special concentration and my head is starting to hurt (I clearly need more tea).

This revision is going quite well (I think!!). My only concern is the swelling of my word count. Why can nothing I write ever get SHORTER? I’ve peeked at my initial draft a couple of times over the last week to try and clear up some discrepancies (it didn’t actually help), and was pleased to see that the second draft is a much better book than the first, and I think this third draft is making it even better. But not shorter. Never shorter. >:-( First draft was 70K, second draft was 80K, and now I’m pushing 90K! When I do my read-through I’m going to try and cut as much as possible. Hopefully I’ll get it down to 85K, but I’m not holding my breath. Sheesh.

Okay. Break time. By which I mean bathroom cleaning time. And a shower. And more tea. Probably in that order.

Also, I think my post titles are possibly getting out of control. On the other hand, I can’t just title my posts “update” all the time. That’s super boring.

Okay I think I’m done now. 🙂

But the children love the books!

I made friends with the library again! Hopefully this will keep me busy (and OUT of the bookstores) for awhile… 🙂

I only have five chapters left in my revision! I’m SO excited. Gotta remember to buy some paper so I can print the thing out, reread, and make any necessary additional changes. Then it’s query and change gears time! I’m super happy about that, in case you couldn’t tell!!

Kind of eyeing this contest as a possibility. It’s nice when they actually give you 10K words to work with, and the deadline is far enough away that I could potentially write something new. Hmmmm…

All righty, back to work!

April Showers Bring…… Revised Books!!

Well hopefully, anyway. 🙂 Here’s some stats for Tuesday:

Chapters Revised: 13/29

Number of Hours Spent playing HayDay instead of revising: way too many

Tea Drunk Today: Two mugs of delicious Vanilla Black with Half ‘n Half and a slice of homemade banana bread. Mmmmm.

Okay that wasn’t very many stats, but whatever. 🙂 My ultimate goal is to have this novel completely revised and ready for queryin’ by the end of April. Then I get to write something NEW!!!

Onwards!

The Book Goes Ever Ever On

Well, I’m happy to report that things have looked up a little since the last post! I finished (more or less) rewriting the scenes I needed to, and have started from page one, working through the book bit by bit and tweaking and editing and rearranging as needed. This is much more enjoyable than the rewriting so far. I’m in Chapter 5 of 29, so a ways to go yet, but it’s going fairly quickly. I might actually be able to glimpse the light at the end of the tunnel. The goal is to have this draft COMPLETELY DONE by the end of April, or sooner if possible. I’m ready to get back on the querying wagon again, and even more ready to WORK ON SOMETHING ELSE.

On another note, I’ve been rereading a novel I wrote back in 2008/2009 and, editing needs aside, it’s actually quite compelling and I’m realizing I like it quite a lot. It’s a sort of prequel/companion book to one I wrote in 2006 that I’ve been thinking about revising after I finish my current project. Exciting stuff.

I finished the Artimes Fowl series, and am still digesting the ending. I’m sad it’s over, but it was good!

Resisting the call of Amazon to buy a thousand books and have them appear promptly at my door. I think I need to make friends with a library again…

And in non-writing news, I paid off my credit card!!! 🙂

Over and out!